LACERA - The Los Angeles County Employees Retirement Association LACERA Home Disclaimer Links My LACERA FAQs Contact Us LACERA Home

Search by Topic

Brochures & Forms



OPTION 2 — Plans A, B, C, D, E, and G

Under Option 2, you receive a reduced Unmodified Retirement Allowance during your lifetime and 100 percent of your reduced allowance is paid monthly to your named beneficiary after you die. Both your age and the age of your beneficiary are used to calculate the amount of the reduced allowance.

This option may be advantageous if your spouse or domestic partner or minor child does not qualify for a monthly continuing allowance or if you have a short life expectancy.* It may also be appropriate if you have been ordered by a court to name an ex-spouse as your beneficiary.


  • You may name any beneficiary with an insurable interest in your life.
  • You cannot change your primary beneficiary after you retire.
  • Under this option, you must submit your beneficiary's original certified birth certificate.**
  • If your beneficiary dies before you, the reduction to your retirement allowance remains in effect. You cannot name another beneficiary to receive the previous beneficiary’s portion of the monthly allowance. However, you may name a separate beneficiary to receive the $5,000 lump-sum death benefit, or the $5,000 will be divided among the remaining named beneficiaries.

To apply for retirement, call LACERA at 800-786-6464, or email, or visit our Member Service Center at 300 N. Lake Avenue, Pasadena.

*Spouses must be married one year prior to the member’s retirement. Domestic Partners must be registered with the California Secretary of State and have a current Certificate of Registered Domestic Partnership on file with LACERA one year prior to the member’s retirement. Children must be under 18, or 22 if a full-time student in an accredited institution.

**Certified documents can be obtained from the Registrar Recorder in the county in which the marriage or birth was recorded. Photocopies will not be accepted. In lieu of a birth certificate, passports and naturalization papers will be accepted.

You may download a Beneficiary Form or change your Beneficiary on My LACERA.


Register or
Sign In