You’ve completed your Steps to Prepare and its now 90 days or less from your target retirement date. You’re ready to retire! What’s next?
It’s time to make it official by completing and submitting your retirement paperwork and completing any final transactions. Completing your required paperwork timely and accurately is extremely important during the retirement process, so we’ve compiled everything you need in one place and laid out the steps you’ll need to take.
- The forms you will need to submit are available for download below, and you can check them off as you go using the Retirement To-Do List.
- Be sure to bookmark or have the Pre-Retirement Guide on hand for reference on a variety of retirement topics specific to your situation.
- Check the 2 Months Before tab at left for the timely steps you should take at this stage as well as your Retirement Date and After.
List of Retirement Forms
Here are the essential forms you will need to complete and submit during the retirement process.
- Online Election Form (service retirements only): This form initiates your official retirement process. Be sure to carefully review and understand your retirement options before submitting your form.
- Beneficiary Designation Form plus any required documentation. Read more about designating beneficiaries.
- Federal and California Tax Withholding Forms (W-4P/DE-4P). Read more about Tax Requirements.
- Direct Deposit authorization and voided check. Read more about Direct Deposit.
- Request to Rescind or Change Retirement Date, if you change your mind about when to retire
Retiree Healthcare Forms
Visit our Retiree healthcare section and Benefits Guide for general information about LACERA-administered healthcare benefits and medical plan overviews. Visit the RHC Forms and Publications page for a full list of forms, samples, brochures and rate tables, and healthcare packets.
- Medical Plan New Enrollment/Change/or Cancellation Form: See the Medical Plan Enrollment sample for step-by-step instructions on how to complete and submit your form.
- Medicare Advantage Prescription Drug Plan (MAPD): See the MAPD Enrollment sample for step-by-step instructions on how to complete and submit your form.
- Dental and Vision Enrollment/Change/Cancellation Form: See the Dental and Vision Enrollment sample for step-by-step instructions on how to complete and submit your form.
Other helpful reference materials for your enrollment:
- Medical Comparison Chart for those not enrolled in Medicare.
- Medical Comparison Chart for those enrolled in Medicare.
- Brochure and Chart for comparing dental/vision options.
- Retiree Healthcare Cost Booklet and medical/dental/vision premium rate
- Contact Information for medical providers.
Other Documents You May Need to Submit
- If divorced: Complete copies of conformed divorce/dissolution of partnership documents for legal review (Judgment of Dissolution, Notice of Entry of Judgment, and Qualified Domestic Relations Order) Read more about pre-retirement divorce and community property laws.
- For Plan E members subject to the Windfall Elimination Provision (WEP): Social Security Administration statement verifying your reduced benefit amount. You must provide to LACERA within six months of your retirement date.
Survivor Benefits While Your Retirement Application Is Pending
In order to secure retirement benefits and related retired death benefits, LACERA must receive your signed election form prior to your passing (retirement eligibility rules apply). If you would like to give the authority to initiate your retirement to another individual, please read the Power of Attorney information below.
Recommended: LACERA Special Durable Power of Attorney
Accidents and illnesses happen. It’s an unfortunate part of life. That’s why it’s important to plan ahead and have the right documents in place in the event you become unable to handle your own affairs. Having a LACERA special durable power of attorney in place ensures that your spouse, partner, or other trusted individual can conduct important LACERA business on your behalf if needed.
- Special Durable Power of Attorney Guide
- LACERA Special Durable Power of Attorney Instructions and Form
How to Submit Your Documents
- Upload on My LACERA (Recommended: It’s fast, easy, and convenient.)
- Use the secure drop box at our 300 N. Lake location
- Fax to 626-564-6155
- Mail to LACERA at P.O. Box 7060, Pasadena, CA 91109-7060