How to Easily Change Your Tax Withholding
If you need to make a change to your tax situation, you can modify the amount deducted from your monthly benefit payment. LACERA offers two easy ways to adjust your tax withholding election.
1. Use My LACERA to make adjustments securely online.
- Sign in to your My LACERA account.
- Select “Tax/1099-R.”
- Select “Adjust Election.”
- To adjust your federal tax elections, provide the appropriate information, then click “Confirm.”
- To adjust your California tax elections, provide the appropriate information, then click “Confirm.”
- After entering your name, click “Submit.”
2. Print and mail or upload your forms to LACERA.
- On the homepage, click the Forms & Publications tile, then find the withholding forms under “Manage Your Retirement Payments.”
- Print out and complete the forms.
- Upload your forms by logging in to your My LACERA account Or
- Mail forms to:
PO Box 7060
Pasadena, CA 91109-7060
If you do not want to change your existing election, no action is necessary.
Note: The IRS has updated the W-4P form for 2022, but LACERA will not switch to the new form until 2023. Please continue to use the 2021 forms provided until further notice. (Do not submit a 2022 version of the form or your withholding change will be rejected.) For more information, see the Federal Income Tax Withholding section on the Tax Requirements page, which includes links to the proper form and a Q&A sheet about the changes.
LACERA does not provide tax advice. Consult with a professional advisor to determine which withholding category is best for your personal situation