Your retirement benefits are determined by your plan, age at retirement, amount of service credit, and final compensation. An outline of your plan’s basic provisions is provided below for quick reference. For more detailed explanations about your plan’s provisions, refer to your online plan book.
- Employee: none
- Employer: funds contributed by the County or outside district at recommended rates
Contribution rates are based on actuarial recommendations and are subject to change. Read more about how contribution rates are set.
- Service Requirement for Retirement/Vesting
- After 10 years of County (or combined County and reciprocal system) service credit
- Retirement Eligibility
- Age 55 with 10 years of County (or combined County and reciprocal system) service credit
- Age 70, regardless of years of service credit
- Final Compensation
- Based on your highest monthly average of compensation earnable during any three 12-consecutive-month periods of service
- For pay items included in your pensionable earnings, visit the CERL Pay Codes page.
- Maximum Retirement Allowance
- Equal to 80 percent of final compensation*
- Maximum Benefit Age
- (Age at which you reach the maximum percentage of final compensation used in calculating your retirement allowance)
- Age 65
*LACERA plans are subject to benefit and compensation limits under Internal Revenue Codes §§ 401(a) (17) and 415(b) and PEPRA §7522.10 as applicable.
- Certain eligibility requirements apply.
- Purchasable Service Credit
Additional Retirement Credit (ARC) purchased prior to January 1, 2013
May not purchase County and non-County employment prior to LACERA membership
- Retirement benefits when employees transfer between reciprocal public agencies.
- Retiree Healthcare
- LACERA-administered retiree healthcare benefits (Tier 1)
- Cost of Living Allowance (COLA)
- Retirement allowance eligible for COLA increases for service earned after June 4, 2002
Disability, Death, and Survivor Provisions
LACERA does not pay disability or death benefits for active service members. See Benefits provided by Los Angeles County below.
For deferred member deaths, a return of contributions and interest to the named beneficiary(ies) applies.
- Death Benefits
- LACERA pays a $5,000 death/burial benefit when a retired member dies, unless they were later employed by another system under the County Employees Retirement Law (CERL).
- Continuing Benefits
- LACERA pays up to 100 percent of a retired member’s allowance to an eligible survivor or designated beneficiary.*
*Certain eligibility and restrictions apply; see Eligible Beneficiaries for more details.
Benefits Provided by Los Angeles County
LACERA does not administer these benefits; contact the County Employee Benefits Hotline at 213-388-9982 for details.
- Retiree Healthcare Subsidy
- County subsidizes retiree medical/dental insurance based on a minimum of 10 years of service credit.
- Disability Benefits
- County pays disability benefits in the event an active member becomes disabled.*
*Certain eligibility conditions and restrictions apply.
- Death Benefits
- County pays death benefits in the event an active member dies.
- Life Insurance
- County provides $10,000 life insurance benefit for active members who die in service.**
**Eligible employees may purchase additional coverage. County-sponsored life and disability insurance benefits and options vary for MegaFlex participants.