If you want to return to work on a permanent basis with the County, your request for reemployment will need to be approved by the County Board of Supervisors and LACERA Board of Retirement before returning to work. You will need both boards’ approvals to return to active LACERA membership to receive service credit.
You may return to active membership in LACERA, if you:
- Are rehired by the County
- Are eligible for LACERA membership (must be a permanent employee working three-quarter time or more)
- Apply for reinstatement with the Board of Retirement and provide required documentation (see more below)
- Are determined by the Board of Retirement not to be incapacitated for the duties assigned, based on medical examination (as required by CERL §31680.4)
If you meet all the requirements above, the Board of Retirement will cancel your retirement allowance and reinstate you to active LACERA membership. You will become a member of General Plan G or Safety C (PEPRA plans) and subject to the PEPRA retirement rules. Your retirement allowance will be resumed only upon your subsequent termination from County employment.
Required Documentation for Membership Reinstatement
LACERA needs the following documents as part of your reinstatement process:
- A letter from your department to LACERA requesting your return to work and the position to which you will return
- A copy of the job description for the position to which you will return
- Proof of your approval by the Board of Supervisors (BOS) for reemployment, provided by the County CEO. (Note: This does not apply to Superior Court employees.) There are two options for receiving this approval. Once the County CEO sends the request for reemployment to the Board of Supervisors:
- If there are no issues of concern and the Board of Supervisors (BOS) does not agendize the request within 10 days, under BOS Policy 9.150 the CEO can send a letter to LACERA confirming there is indirect approval of the request.
- If agendized, the CEO can send a copy of the stamped BOS resolution approving reemployment.
- Your letter to LACERA requesting suspension of your retirement benefit and a return to active membership
- A Medical Evaluation Report confirming you are not incapacitated to work in the return position
LACERA’s Benefits Division must receive and validate the required documents before submitting your request for the next scheduled Board of Retirement (BOR) meeting. The BOR will then take action on the request.
- If you are not approved to return to work, LACERA will notify you and your department.
- If you are approved, LACERA will work with your department to determine your return-to-work date, calculate your last pro-rated benefit amount, and suspend your retirement account, and set up a new retirement account once your department sends your new sworn statement.