Retirement Option 1 is a benefit under which you receive a slightly reduced Unmodified retirement allowance during your lifetime with the balance of your contributions paid in a lump sum to your beneficiary or estate if you die before receiving all the contributions you paid into the fund.
Option 1 may be advantageous if you do not have a spouse, domestic partner, or minor child who is eligible to receive a continuing allowance.
Disclaimer: By clicking the “Watch on YouTube” link embedded in the video above or any of the video links below, you will leave LACERA.com and be directed to an external website. LACERA does not have control of external websites, and you are subject to those sites’ privacy, security, accessibility, and other policies. LACERA is not responsible for, nor does it endorse, content on external websites, including advertisements, promotions, and other videos.
|Eligible Beneficiaries||Plan A, B, C, D or G Survivor Benefit||Plan E Survivor Benefit||Change Beneficiary After Retirement|
|Any named beneficiary||Lump-sum payment||Not available||Plan A, B, C, or D: Full flexibility to change beneficiary at any time|
To estimate your monthly allowance amount under the different options, log in My LACERA to use the retirement benefit estimate calculator.
Under Retirement Option 1, you may name anyone as your beneficiary.
Changing Your Beneficiary After Retirement
- Beneficiary of the Lump-Sum Contribution Balance
- Only Option 1 allows full flexibility to change your beneficiary designation after you retire. The age of your beneficiary is not considered when calculating your allowance. If your beneficiary dies before you, the reduction to your retirement allowance remains in effect for you, but you may name another beneficiary to receive the Option 1 lump-sum payment.
- Beneficiary of the Lump-Sum Death/Burial Benefit
- All LACERA retirees are entitled to designate someone to receive a one-time, $5,000 lump-sum death/burial benefit. This benefit is flexible, and you may change the named beneficiary after retirement.
Option 1 Pension Advance Option
This option is a combination of Option 1 and the Unmodified Pension Advance Option. It will pay you a slightly reduced benefit during your lifetime. If you die before you receive the contributions you paid into the fund, your beneficiaries or estate receive a lump sum.
You will receive a higher LACERA benefit prior to the age of 62, then less money after you turn 62 when you are eligible to receive your Social Security benefit.
This Option is not available to Plan E members.
- Service retirement prior to age 62
- Member of contributory plan
- Submit a Social Security statement of benefits
- Elect of one of the following:
- Unmodified Option
- Option 1
Retiree and Survivor Healthcare
All LACERA retirees are eligible to enroll in a LACERA-administered retiree healthcare plan. Upon the death of a retired member, only a survivor or beneficiary who is receiving a continuing monthly benefit from LACERA and who qualifies as a surviving eligible dependent, as defined by LACERA’s Retiree Healthcare Administrative Guidelines, is eligible to enroll in LACERA- administered healthcare coverage.
If you are ready to start the retirement process, call LACERA at 800-786-6464 or schedule an appointment to speak with a Retirement Benefits Specialist.